BBQ Lentils

BBQ Lentils

Our good friends, the Querys, made these lentils all the time for the church potluck and they are so yummy. They have a soft barbecue flavor to them which makes them delicious! They aren’t spicy either, which makes them palatable, yet still flavorful and healthy for kids!

Makes 6-8 servings

4 cups cooked lentils

1 onion, chopped

2 (15oz.) cans tomato sauce or diced tomatoes

3 T. apple cider vinegar

3 T. Braggs, liquid aminos or soy sauce

2 T. sucanat, honey or brown sugar

2 T. chili powder

Cook lentils according to package then drain.* Mix all ingredients together and bring to boil, then stir and simmer for 15-20 min. Serve over rice or potatoes and enjoy plain or top with yogurt, sour cream or butter.

*Ratio is usually 3 cups water per 1 cup dry lentils…bring to boil, then simmer 15-20 min. When cooked, they will usually double or triple in size.

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.

1. Kimberly

I would love to fix these for my daughter who is a vegan when she is home for Christmas. However I haven’t cooked lentils very often. How many cups of dry lentils equal 4 cups cooked lentils? Thanks for your help!

2. Kim

Looks so yummy. Hubby is always against lentil dish but I’m going to try it anyway. Do you recommend any particular color?

Thank you Jill. We are starting to like lentils now as I have never served them before. We especially like it in soup with pearl barley which is another food I had never served to my family until recently.

4. Macie

I just made this tonight and it’s very good!!! Definitely worth trying it out if you’re on the fence about it!

5. KeRry

I saw this recipe in your story and couldn’t stop thinking about them. Made them tonight and used maple syrup instead of sugar – delicious!!

ooh! Good idea! 🙂

6. Ashley

Thank you. Loved the lentil recipe I added carrots to. Tried showing a picture of final product but wont let me add one. Again thanks perfect winter recipe.