Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

This was a family favorite in my (Jill’s) family growing up. It’s not the healthiest, but certainly makes for an easy and cheap dish when you’re trying to feed a crowd.

Makes two 9×13″ pans or one large industrial pan

2 lbs ground turkey (seasoned with onion powder, salt and pepper when cooking)

3 (2lb) bags tater tots

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk (or 3 cups milk)

Brown meat with seasonings then drain off excess liquid. Place meat in the bottom of large casserole dish. Cover with tater tots. Mix soup and milk together and pour over top of tater tots. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.

1. Lisa Bashaw

As a mom of 6 I love this recipe. I ahree it’s quick & easy and feeds a lot. I add a veggie & shredded cheese to mine

Thank you Jill. I made this after we first learned about your family when your mama was expecting Jackson. I haven’t made it in awhile and i want to figure out how to make it healthier due to my hubby having a heart attack.
    I want to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day and the same to all your readers who are mothers or mother figures.

• Jean

Regina, roast a turkey breast that was not brined. Mash some unsalted potatoes without butter or milk (use some reserved potato cooking liquid). If you need flavor, use poultry seasoning or thyme on the turkey, and pepper or fresh snipped chives on the potatoes. Voila, the start of a meal that is infinitely heart healthier than anything with Tater Tots and canned soups. It’s hard to believe this recipe is still being shared!

• Regina Shea

Thank you Jean for your suggestion. Actually I realized I can use the Healthy Request version of the soups and instead of salt I can use Braggs Seasoning. I can still use the tater tots or even use brown rice.
        I like Jill’s suggestion that you can use milk instead of instead of evaporated milk. This is a great recipe that can easily be tweaked to suit your family’s tastes. Unfortunately my daughters have developed a disdain towards mushrooms so I will have to substitute something else for the mushroom soup.
        God bless!

• Genevea

I am severely allergic to mushrooms. I use cream of celery instead. Very tasty. I just need to figure out how to make it for 1, since I am alone now. Does this freeze well?

Yes! Feel free to substitute other condensed soups for cream of mushroom. I have used cream of chicken with the cream of mushroom before and it still tasted delicious! -Jill

3. Leigh

I think I will try this! I make condensed soups from scratch so it does cut down on the harmful stuff. Thanks for sharing Jill! ☺

4. Courtney

Can you substitute the ground turkey for ground beef?

Yes! Just make sure you drain the fat off after cooking it. Ground beef has a lot more grease than ground turkey. 🙂

5. Sarah

We’re expecting our 3rd LO in September. Over the next couple of months, I’m prepping several week’s worth of frozen crockpot and casserole dinners so I can spend September cuddling and nursing our newest addition. I’m adding a few recipes from your site to my meal prepping. Thanks for sharing them! 🙂

Sarah, Aww! Congrats! I hope everything goes well for you!

6. Lynne

Hello Jill, can you substitute the mushroom soup for another creamed soup? For smaller portions can I just half the recipe?

Absolutely! Half it to fill one 9×13″ pan and use whatever creamed condensed soup your family prefers. It will change the flavor a little, but it will still taste great and give the same consistency.