Cheesy Chicken and Rice Enchiladas Recipe

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Enchiladas Recipe

Some friends of ours brought us these many years ago when my mom had a new baby and my mom asked for the recipe since they were so delicious! These are easy to make when you’ve got a bunch of leftover rice and they are sure to be crowd pleasing! When you’re in a pinch and have a bunch of mouths to feed, this recipe comes in handy! I halved the recipe in this picture.

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 can green chiles (can blend if kids don’t like chunks)

1 can chicken (12.5 oz.), drain, smash with fork

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 can green chiles (blend, optional)

2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

1 can milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk)

Grease two 9×13″ pans (or one industrial pan). Mix filling ingredients together and fill tortillas. Roll and place in greased pans. Mix cheese sauce and warm in microwave. Pour sauce over top. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.

1. Reba

I’ve been hearing rumors that Derick is going to law school. Is that true?

This looks so good Jill. We’ve had times when we were very low on ingredients for enchiladas so I end up just wrapping chicken in tortillas, pour enchilada sauce over it and sprinkling whatever cheese we have. They are not nearly as good as good as a full recipe but it’ filling. Have a blessed weekend!

3. Tara

How big of a can of chicken?

Thanks for asking, Tara.

12.5 oz can of chicken.

4. PAULA

All that and just one can of chicken?

Yep. Feel free to add more if you’d like.

5. Emma

Do you use low sodium soup?

Yes. I do use low sodium a lot and it works great!

6. Emily

Jill,

I’ll be trying these today, but I can’t figure out if I’m supposed to dilute the cream of chicken or not?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Emily, Nope. No need to dilute the cream of chicken.

7. Shay

We do this in layers as a casserole like lasagna. No rolling just layering. I’m not sure if you have someone so teaches canning like jams/jellys, to veggies, to meats but I can chicken all the time. I wait for boneless skinless chicken breast to go on sale for $1.29 or $1.49. Then I buy a 40 lb box cut some up for the freezer, some I can, some that I freeze I slice up to make my own chicken “tenders” for quick finger food. The canned chicken is pressured cooked so quicker meals.

• Paul Pope

LOL no one cares?

8. Julia

I can’t imagine why you’re getting flack for this recipe. It’s a tried and true favorite of so many and the ingredients can be adjusted to fit your family’s likes; as long as the sauce has chilies, cream of chicken soup and cheese you’re good to go. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be you, Jill. You’re the innocent one here, just like Anna. Miss seeing your parents.

9. Jamie

Thank you InTouch for the link. These recipes are awesome. Its like true heartland of America inspired. U can pretty much buy everything at one store.

10. S

I love this I make it all the time.
    I don’t know why people think it looks gross it looks good.
    People know a days complain about everything

11. Jenean

Jill – thank you so much for sharing your recipes. Cooking is a journey that evolves throughout a families journey! We so appreciate reading and trying all of your yummy recipes. Thank you for sharing and please don’t let the negative comments stop you. Keep moving forward and putting yourself out there. listen to God first and then your positive fan base. We love you !

I think people who complain like that are just jealous because they have sad lives and have no hope in Jesus. I don’t know what site people are whining on but thankfully they aren’t here posting their poison. I really want to make this recipe because our family loves enchiladas. When I make them, I usually make enough to serve the next day for lunch.

13. Parrish RitchiE

I cant wait to try this with some leftover chicken and rice!! Yum!!! I sent you a message on Instagram, I have a cookbook out I think you would really like and I would love to send you one!! I have another one coming out soon that is all vintage church cookbook recipes that I think you would love too!! Let me know if you would be interested and I can get a copy out to you! Love seeing your recipes!

Thanks! I’d love to see it. Feel free to send one to the address on our contact page!

14. Gigi

Jill, I love this recipe. I have been making this for years. My daughter made this for my 69th Birthday party and it was awesome. Love your recipes. Carry on!